Hastings Mutual Insurance Company
On April 5, 1885, the Michigan Mutual Tornado, Cyclone, and Windstorm Insurance Company became the first mutual windstorm company incorporated by the state of Michigan. Starting in a one-room office above Grant's store, the company occupied and outgrew five sites in Hastings. Locally the firm was called the Windstorm Company, while out of town it was known as the Hastings Company. In 1920, its name was formally changed to the Michigan Mutual Windstorm Insurance Company. On January 15, 1959, the company became a general mutual, taking the name Hastings Mutual Insurance Company. Over the years, the firm has expanded to write policies for commercial, home, and farm property, workers compensation, automobile, and marine insurance.