Glenwood Cemetery was established in 1857. It is one of only a few mid-nineteenth-century Michigan cemeteries to feature a rolling landscape with winding roadways. The original cemetery, the western section of the present grounds, displays a broad range of historic funerary art. The focal point of the eastern portion, developed in 1925, is a granite Neo-classical-style public mausoleum. Among those buried in Glenwood are: Jacob Smith,
Flints first white settler; Governors Henry H. Crapo,
and Josiah Begole; Lieutenant Governor William Fenton; William A. Patterson and James Whiting, carriage and automobile builders; J. Dallas Dort,
co-founder of the Durant-Dort Carriage Company and Dort Motor Company; and philanthropist Charles S. Mott and Harlow Curtice of the General Motors Company.