The Martha Cook Building first housed women students of the University of Michigan
in 1915. New York lawyer William W. Cook, a Michigan alumnus, donated the building. The Collegiate Gothic residence was named for Cook's mother, Martha W. Cook. New York architects York and Sawyer designed this building as well as the university Law Quadrangle, one of Cook's later donations. Paul Suttman's garden statue, known as "Eve," was a fiftieth anniversary gift of the building's alumnae.