Sainte Anne Church
In 1670, Jesuit Father Charles Dablon founded a birchbark mission chapel on Mackinac Island. The following year, Father Jacques Marquette relocated the mission at St. Ignace. Abandoned in 1706 and reestablished at Fort Michilimackinac around 1715, the new church was named Sainte Anne de Michilimackinac. During the winter of 1780 - 1781, British to the island and moved the church building across the ice. The church is the nation's oldest dedicated to Saint Anne, and maintains baptismal records dating from April 1695.