Opened in June 1933, just three months after President Franklin D. Roosevelt announced that the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) would "put people to work," Camp Lunden was one of 103 Michigan Camps organized by mid-1935. The men were originally housed in tents; however, they soon built barracks, a mess hall and other structures. The corps planted trees, built roads, fire lines and trout ponds, and cleared the air field for the Atlanta airport. Many of the men socialized in Lewiston, boxed and gave musical performances. Camp Lunden closed in 1936.