When it was dedicated in March 22, 1928, Fordson High School was hailed as "one of the finest school buildings in the United States." Designed in the Neo-Tudor style, the school is reminiscent of sixteenth century English universities and manor houses. The tower was inspired by the Yale University Memorial Quadrangle and the Lawyer's Club at the University of Michigan.
Fordson's interior houses mosaics, statuary, Pewabic tile and murals by Hugarian-born artist Zoltan Sepeshy (1898 - 1974). A major restoration occurred during the 1970s. In 1926 the school's architect, Everett Lane Williams of the Detroit firm of VanLeyen, Schilling and Keough wrote, "May the youth of this city be inspired to go forth from this building to enjoy life to its full extent.