Michigan Light Artillery Regiment
During the Civil War more than three thousand men served in Michigan's twelve artillery batteries. The regiment saw action in both major theaters. Unlike infantry regiments, six-gun artillery batteries served as detached units. Light artillery was mobile. Six-horse limbers pulled an ammunition caisson and a gun that delivered devastating fire using solid shot, explosive shell, case or canister. Michigan's first unit, the Coldwater Light Artillery Battery, mustered in on May 28, 1861; its last battery formed up in 1864. In late August 1862, and the six-gun battery F and a two-gun section of battery G, under Lieutenants Lanphere, Hale, Paddock and Brown fought against superior numbers in their first battle here at Richmond.