Dougherty Mission House
Peter Dougherty arrived on Mackinac Island in 1838, planning to establish a Presbyterian mission to the Ojibwe and Odawa tribes in northern Michigan. He selected the Grand Traverse Bay area and settled in Elk Rapids. Soon after he relocated to this area at the request of Chief Ohgosa. Dougherty sketched some of the region's first maps in 1839-40. After his 1840 marriage to Maria Higgins, he and local Native Americans built this residence in 1842. In addition to delivering sermons and caring for the sick, Dougherty translated biblical lessons and scriptures into the Native American language Anishaabemowin, publishing them in 1844 and 1847. The house became known as the "Old Mission House" when the Dougherty family opened a new mission in Onema in 1852.