Holy Cross Church


Holy Cross Church photo of Holy Cross Church
Father Frederic Baraga (1797-1868) landed on Beaver Island as a missionary in 1832. This church was built in 1860 and consecrated by Baraga, the Bishop of the Diocese of Sault Ste. Marie. This church originally stood inland alongside the parish cemetery one mile to the south. To better serve the island's population center on Paradise Bay, Holy Cross Church was cut in half and reassembled at this location in 1957.
 

Registered Site L2251
Erected 2013

Location: King's Highway at Bonner
St James, Beaver Island, Charlevoix County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.745318747 W85.52222907
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2016 James Brennan. All rights reserved.