Eastern Liggett School


Eastern Liggett School photo of Eastern Liggett School
Albert Kahn designed this school in the Arts and Crafts style in 1913. It opened in 1914 as Eastern Liggett, a college preparatory school for girls, Kahn oversaw the addition of an auditorium, gymnasium and new classrooms in 1923, and the front gate installation in 1928. Many of Liggett's early students were the daughters of business owners from the surrounding Indian Village neighborhood. In 1964, Liggett School moved to Grosse Pointe.
 
 
Detroit Waldorf School
In 1966, the Waldorf School Association of Michigan reopened this building as Michigan's first Waldorf School, using the educational approach created by Rudolf Steiner in Germany in 1919. It was one of Detroit's firs racially integrated schools. In 1968, the school became a founding member of Waldorf Schools of North America. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1972 as part of the Indian Village Historic District.

Photo courtesy Tom Glowacki.

Registered Site L2281
Erected 2016

Location: 2555 Burns St
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Historic Districts
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.364806724 W82.99753546
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2017 James Brennan. All rights reserved.