This site on Territorial Road
was a gift of Seeley Neal (1778-1862) from 640 acres acquired from the government in 1831. Neal, a veteran of the War of 1812, built the first log house in the township. His was the first family to locate in the settlement later named by him, Marengo. He built a sawmill on the Kalamazoo River, and was a member of the commission that helped survey the Territorial Road.