First Methodist Episcopal Church
As early as 1820 itinerant Methodist preachers came to Pontiac, and in 1828 a society was organized by the Rev. William T. Snow in the home of Ira Donelson. The small group later met in a school and the courthouse until it was able in 1842 to build its first church at the corner of Pike and Perry. The present building was begun in 1861 and dedicated in 1864. The First Methodist Church, as it became after following the 1939 Uniting Conference, is the "Mother" of Methodist Churches in Pontiac.