William N. Lyster, Irish-born missionary, preached in Jonesville in 1836, and Darius Barker
organized the parish in 1838. A church featuring Classical and Gothic styling was begun in 1844 and consecrated by Bishop Samuel McCoskry in 1848. Panelling and furniture made from black walnut are still in place. William Walton Murphy, a founder and vestryman, was Abraham Lincoln's consul-general to the German city of Frankfort.