This village was settled in the mid-nineteenth century, and in 1857 a post office was opened. By 1860 a town of several blocks was established, and the businesses included a gristmill, hotel, and sash factory. The gristmill, run by Melatiah J. Lathrop, was the principal industry for a number of years. The Grand River Valley Railroad bypassed Barryville in 1869, and soon the population declined. One hundred people lived here in the early 1870s, but by the next decade only fifteen remained. The mill operated until the turn of the century.