This hamlet developed around the mills which were located here to utilize the great water power of the Huron River. Cornelius Osterhout built a sawmill here about 1827, followed in 1846 by a grist-mill in which three men produced six thousand barrels of flour a year. Later a cider mill and a plaster mill became part of the complex. In 1882 a wood pulp producer, the Birkett Manufacturing Co., acquired the mill property. Across the Huron the remains of the Birkett mill and dam are still visible.