Jenison is named for a pioneer family of English descent. Lemuel Jenison, son of a Revolutionary War soldier, came to the Grand River Valley from New York in 1835 with his family. Among the seven children born to Lemuel and his wife Sara, were four daughters and three sons, Hiram and twins Luman and Lucius. Lemuel died in 1837. The care and support of the family fell on the oldest son, then twenty-four, and the twins who were fourteen. Sara died in 1841. The Jenison brothers, initially lumbermen, later branched out in other ventures. They donated land for roads, schools, and churches. Hiram, who served as the first Georgetown supervisor, died in 1869. Lucius and Luman, who were business partners, both died in 1899, and much of their estate was left to Margaret Husband who built this house.