Built about 1865 this oldest remaining house in Mt. Pleasant was purchased by Wilkinson Doughty in 1869. An early hardware and dry goods merchant, Doughty was a town trustee and a founder of Central Michigan Normal School, now Central Michigan University.
A carefully preserved example of balloon frame pioneer architecture, the house has remained in the family since Doughty's death in 1909. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.