On June 15,1858, The Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd was organized; its parish was admitted into the Diocese of Michigan two years later. Built in 1866-1869, this Gothic structure was designed by Gordon W. Lloyd
and first used for Divine Service on Palm Sunday, March 21, 1669. Bishop McCoskry performed the rite of consecration on April 8 of that same year. In 1886 the parishioners purchased the present tracker organ, which is still in use, and one of the few such organs left in this state today.