Ironwood City Hall
This building served as city hall for Ironwood, which was settled in 1885 as the commercial center of the Gogebic iron mining district. Ironwood incorporated as a city in 1889 and erected the building one year later. Designed by George Mennie, this structure of Lake Superior sandstone and brick initially contained a jail, fire station, library and city offices. Then fire and police departments occupied the building exclusively. Firemen have hung their hoses to dry from the 85 foot tower.