Avon Township, the site of the first settlement in Oakland County, was organized in 1835. This white clapboard building was erected in 1880 as the township hall. Its alterations reflect the area's industrial and commercial growth. Initially constructed as a single story building, the hall was enlarged by raising the roof eight feet and adding a second story in the early 1830s. In 1962 a north wing was also constructed. Avon Township hall is one of the few public structures built prior to 1900 that still stands in Oakland County.