This handsome Italian Villa, with paired arched windows, is adorned with combined cupola and railing. Edward Butler (1814-1881) merchant, banker and first treasurer of Calhoun County, built the residence in 1858 - 1861 on land once owned by authors James Fenimore Cooper. William D. Boyce (1860-1929), founder of the Boy Scouts of America, purchased the house and sixty acres as a summer home in 1894. For many years it was the home of Myron B. and Anne Ells. Mrs. Ells founded the Marshall Historical Society in 1961.