Lured by the railroad, John W. Paine (1821-1870) moved from the nearby Rochester Colony
to St. Johns. In 1860 he built the town's first brick store and this house. The office was later added to this site. Dr. Samuel Gillam (1845-1908) remodeled the house in 1883. In 1904 he was joined by Dr. Walter M. Scott (1875-1934), who practiced here until his death. The Clinton County Historical Society restored the hiuse in 1978 and the office in 1986.