Lake View Hotel
Originally known as the Lake View House, this is one of the oldest continuously operated hotels on Mackinac Island. Reuben Chapman built the structure in 1858. After his death in 1860, the hotel was operated by his wife, Maria. In 1880 the Chapman's daughter, Jeannie, and son-in-law. Claude C. Cable purchased the structure. Later they changed the name to the Lake View Hotel. In the 1890s as Mackinac Island became a midwestern tourist mecca, the hotel was enlarged and two large towers were added. The restaurant and bar were built in 1969 and expanded in 1975. The original portion of the hotel is a well preserved example of vernacular resort architecture. The handsome building is accented by an open, wood columned porch with a modified hipped roof and a raised basement.