In 1843 Calvin Smith became the first white settler in the area. N.G. Chase opened a store here the following year. When Dr. Wilbur Fisher, the area's pioneer physician, began operating a rural post office in 1848, he named the community Smyrna after a Greek city. The village, platted as Mount Vernon was also called Mount Vernon Mills. In the 1880s, with a population of 300, Smyrna had a hotel on this site, plus saw and flour mills, a foundry, three blacksmiths shops, two churches and a wagon shop.