This school was built for Ward One of the South Haven School District in 1898. Constructed at a cost of nearly $5,000 by William Buck, the handsome two-story building was designed by Frank S. Allen. It later took its name from the street on which it is located. On December 5, 1898, some 115 students, kindergarten through sixth grade, moved into the structure. Since that time, the Indiana School has remained a South Haven neighborhood school.