Fallasburg Pioneer Village
Fallasburg was settled by two brothers from Tompkins County, New York. In 1839, John Wesley Fallas purchased the northwest quarter of section 24 and laid plans for a village. His brother Silas S., also purchased land at that time. Other family members soon followed, making the long journey in covered wagons. John W. built a sawmill on the east bank of the Flat River in 1839. In it he established a chair factory that was a forerunner of the Kent County furniture industry. He soon added a gristmill.