In 1862 the village Muskegon purchased this ten acre site for a new cemetery. It was formally platted in 1864, and the first burial took place that same year. The Ladies Cemetery Association was organized to beautify and maintain the grounds, which were quite desolate and surrounded by rough boarrd fence. There was no sexton in the early years so the association was responsible for all improvements. The cemetery became the final resting place for many prominent Muskegon citizens. There are 3,200 graves, 965 of which date from the nineteenth century. The gently rolling, landscaped grounds contain family mausoleums, columbaria, eleven above ground crypts and vaults, and several obelisks and marble markers.