"Old Perry Centre"
The first settler in what is now Perry Township was Joseph Purdey, who in 1836 built a log cabin near an Indian trail. In 1841 the first township meeting was held at the home of Joseph Roberts. In 1987, the year of the Michigan Sesquicentennial, that site was the Slocum farm on Miller Road. A coffee pot and a tea kettle were used for the ballot boxes. James Titus was granted the first land abstract and built the first log cabin in "Old Perry Centre." In 1850 William Laing opened the town's first store and post office. The town was a stagecoach stop on the Owosso - Mason line. By 1880, the settlement of about three hundred inhabitants had a hotel, Methodist, Baptist and Congregational churches, two flour mills, a sawmill, several stores and a school.