St. Philip's Lutheran Church
St. Philip's Lutheran Church, founded 1934, was the first black Lutheran church in Michigan. The Reverend H. J. Storm came to Detroit from his Windsor parish to lead St. Philip's congregation each week until 1936, when the Reverend Raymond R. Pollatz became the church's first resident pastor. The parish soon moved from its one-room apartment to a school and later to a remodeled synagogue on King Street. The parish dedicated the building at this location on May 20, 1951.