Hiram D. Ellis House
In 1883, Blissfield banker Hiram D. Ellis (1826-1900) built this house. The bracketed cornice, hip roof and bay window reflect the influence of Italianate architecture; the classical porch probably was added in the early twentieth century. Ellis emigrated from New York and settled in Blissfield Township in 1842. From 1873 to 1877, he and F.G. Beagle operated a grocery and hardware store. Around 1879, Ellis joined Arthur D. Gilmore in a banking firm. He also served as postmaster and township supervisor.