Barryton / Frank Barry
In 1894 Frank and Marion Barry registered the plat for a new village named Barry with the state of Michigan. The twelve-block area consisted of Northern, Marion and Angell Avenues, and Stearns, Renwick, Darrah and Hudnutt Streets. A post office opened the same year. By 1896 Barryton had a sawmill, a planing mill, a livery, two general stores, two hotels, two restaurants, a pharmacy and a hardware store. Within five years a daily stage and the Pere Marquette Railroad served the town's five hundred citizens. Barryton incorporated as a village in 1908.