St. Augustine Church and Cemetery
During the 1830s a number of Irish Catholic settlers migrated from New York State to Deerfield and Tyrone Townships, drawn by the prospect of purchasing inexpensive land. When they arrived there was no parish to serve them. In 1843 Father Patrick O'Kelly of Green Oak, who served all of Livingston and Oakland Counties, organized a parish with thirteen families. A wood frame church was soon erected on the corner opposite from here where the oldest part of the cemetery is located. The church was originally a mission named Saints Peter and Paul; in 1870 it was renamed Saint Augustine Church. The cemetery's earliest burial dates from 1846.