Michigan pioneer Elnathan Botsford settled this site in 1825. Harry Boyd Earhart of Detroit, president of the White Star Refining Corporation, purchased the farm in 1917 and renamed it "The Meadows." The Olmsted Brothers, nationally known landscape architects from Brookline, Massachusetts, planned and directed the development of the grounds, as well as the siting of the house. Many landscape elements of the original plan survive. Smith, Hinchman and Grylls of Detroit designed the house in the French Manor style. A significant feature of the manor, completed in 1936, is the Pewabic tile created for the Earharts by Marry Chase Perry Stratton. Harry and Carrie Earhart were noted philanthropists and patrons of the fine and performing arts.