Michigan Central Freighthouse
The Michigan Central Railroad (MCRR) came to Ypsilanti in 1838, transforming the farming community into a transportation center. This Italianate structure, built in 1878, increased the freight-handling capacity of the MCRR's Ypsilanti complex. Goods and produce were shipped across the U.S. and Canada. In 1979 the city acquired the building; opening it as a community center and farmers market the following year.