Sanford Stone (1828 - 1888) came to Richmond in 1843. In 1875 he platted "Sanford M. Stone's Addition to the Village of Richmond." which included Jefferson and Washington Streets between Ferguson and Beebe. Stone held many public offices including state representative, village president and county coroner. On this site in 1878, he built an Eastlake style house which sported ornate chimneys and decorative trim in the gables, making it one of Richmond's most elaborate buildings.