Isabella County Seat
The state legislature organized Isabella County on February 11, 1859. A commission appointed by the governor established the county seat as Isabella Centre. To encourage settlement on land he owned in Isabella County, lumberman David Ward deeded five acres in present-day Mount Pleasant to the county on the condition that the county courthouse be erected on that land. In 1860 voters approved the transfer of the county seat to Mount Pleasant, and a simple frame building was constructed on the site as the first courthouse. The count built a stately brick courthouse on this site in 1877. That building was demolished in 1972.