The village of Lakeside grew up around the A.V. Mann and Company sawmill, which operated from 1868 to 1889. In 1888 Lakeside was annexed to Muskegon. That year fire ravaged the business district. Despite the fire, Lakeside continued to boom as a wood product manufacturing center. The Chase Brothers piano factory opened in 1889, a year when Lakeside boasted five sawmills. In 1900 the Central Paper Company factory opened. The paper industry sustained the Lakeside economy into the twenty-first century.