West Highland Cemetery
The need for a burying ground arose soon after Highlands first settlers arrived in the 1830s. They laid out an acre for cemetery use in 1935~36. The Highland Baptist Church bought the land in 1841. In 1915, at the urging of the Ladies Aid society, the West Highland Cemetery Association organized to improve the cemetery. It added an iron fence and plantings, and in 1927 took over ownership. In 1934 more than one hundred spruce trees were planted. By 1977, when ownership passed to Highland Township, the cemetery had grown to four acres in size. Although some of the earliest grave markers have disappeared, several hundred gravestones and monuments displaying a variety of nineteenth century funerary art remains.