Duane Doty School
Duane Doty School opened its doors in the fall of 1909. It was built as Detroit grew north along Woodward Avenue in the first quarter of the twentieth century. The school was named for Duane Doty (c.1836-1902), an early superintendent of Detroit Public Schools and later of the Chicago schools. The building was designed by local firm Malcomson and Higginbotham, architects of many Detroit schools, in an Arts and Crafts style. Originally, the school housed kindergarten through eighth grade with space for up to 640 students. Enrollment peaked at 1,200 in 1960. Many students came from the nearby Boston Edison district. The school was expanded in 1921, and a gymnasium was added in 1928. It has been remodeled several times since its founding.