Gauss Ice House
In 1883, J. Fred Gauss (1838 - 1902) bought an ice house 500 feet east of here. He harvested ice blocks from the Kalamazoo River's mill pond, using sleds and horses to move them. In 1894, he added a steam-powered elevator to move the blocks into the ice house. Fire destroyed the building in 1903. Locals built a straw-packed frame over the ice to save it. That year Fred's son John built a new ice house. The Gauss family owned the business for more than forty years.