Bailey Temple Church of God in Christ
On July 4, 1926 Pastor John Seth Bailey (1896-1984) founded the McKinley Avenue Church of God in Christ. The church held services in a tent here, then moved to a nearby store in the winter. They built a brick church in 1928 and lengthened it by forty-five feet in 1945. The growing congregation soon needed more space, but did not want to leave the original church site or attend services offsite. In 1956, they excavated a full basement beneath the existing building. They built a roof and new walls over the church the next year. Finally the old and new floors were joined. Services were held here throughout construction. In 1958, the church was renamed in honor of Bishop Bailey.