Yates Cider Mill
In 1863, William (1820-1911) and Caroline (1833-1892) Yates moved from New York to Michigan and purchased 80 acres of land. Using an existing dam on the Clinton River, they opened a water-powered lumber mill. The business soon grew to include a grist mill. By 1876, their cider press had begun offering fruit pressing services to local farmers. In the late 1870s, the Detroit and Bay City Railway, which passed in front of the mill, made Yates Station a busy freight and passenger stop. In 1894, Yates built a larger mill next to the original building to accommodate the area's growing agricultural production. The new mill housed a 26-inch-wide water-driven turbine purchased from James Leffel and Company of Springfield, Ohio. As of 2016, the 1894 building and turbine were still being used to press cider.