Saugatuck Pump House
The village of Saugatuck built this structure in 1904 to house the community's first water pumps. The building's construction cost $720. The pumps were part of a water system designed by John W. Alvord, an engineer from Chicago. The two gas-powered pumps brought water from seven wells up to a 100,000-gallon reservoir, located at the top of Lone Pine Dune, just north of Mt Baldhead. Gravity fed the water through pipes under the Kalamazoo River to Saugatuck's buildings and fire hydrants.