J.J. Deal & Son Carriage Factory
Around 1865 blacksmith Jacob J. Deal began to build and repair carriages, wagons, sleighs and carts in Jonesville. He had a manufacturing complex on this site by 1884. Jacob's son George became a partner and manager in 1891, and the company was renamed J. J. Deal and Son. Using fire-resistant construction techniques, they built this factory in three phases between 1892 and 1909. When Jacob retired in 1908, George renamed the business Deal Buggy Company. During this time, the company began to make automobiles under the name Deal Motor Vehicle Company. Its models included the Deal Model "R," which sold for $1,250 and featured a thirty-horsepower engine, speedometer and wind shield. Jacob Deal died in 1914; the company closed the next year.