Norwood School District No. 1 was organized in 1867, one year before Orwin and Eliza P. Adams and Orvis D. Wood platted this village. Thirty-five children attended lessons in a log building. In 1869 a frame schoolhouse was built on land donated by the Adams family. The schoolhouse burned down on March 26, 1890, and was replaced that summer with this building. Students were taught using a group recitation format until 1918, when eight grades were established in accordance with state education reforms.