Immaculate Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary
In the 1830s, numerous Catholic settlers immigrated to the Anchor Bay area. Having no formal church, the settlers were intermittently pastored by missionary clergymen. In 1847, Etienne (Stephen) Rose and his two sons constructed a wooden church on this property. Two years later, the Roses deeded a portion of their land to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Detroit for the purpose of developing a parish. In 1853 the diocese sent the Reverend Charles A. Chambille to be the first official pastor, and the Immaculate Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary was founded. In addition to an ornate wooden church, the parish constructed a school, a cemetery and a rectory.