During the peak of the fur trade this street bustled with activity. Each July and August Indians, traders and trappers by the thousands came here with furs from throughout the Northwest. In 1817, John Jacob Astor's American Fur Co. located its headquarters here. Furs valued at $3,000,000 went through the Market Street offices in 1822. After 1834 the trade moved westward.