Eastern Michigan College
Founded by legislative action in 1849 as the Michigan State Normal School, it was the first state teacher education school west of Albany. Its aim was to provide instruction "in the art of teaching and in all the various branches that pertain to a good common school education." On this site the first building, old Pierce Hall, opened for classes in 1852. Built by the joint action of local citizens and the state, it stood here until 1948.