Eaton County was organized in 1837 and named for President Andrew Jackson's war secretary, John H. Eaton. Pioneers had come to Bellevue, the first county seat, in 1833. The count was settled chiefly by New Englanders who founded communities in Charlotte, Delta Mills, Grand Ledge, Olivet, and Vermontville. In 1840 Charlotte became the county seat. Five years later a modest Greek Revival courthouse was erected on the courthouse square, the site of county government from 1845 to 1976. (That building is now located in Bennett Park.) A second courthouse was built here in 1883-85, and a third was erected north of the city in 1976. Eaton is the only county in Michigan with three extant county courthouses. Eaton County native Frank Fitzgerald and former residents Austin Blair, Luren Dickinson and John Swainson served as Michigan governors.