First Women's Club in Michigan
This building, completed in 1879, is the first in the nation erected for the use of a women's club. The Ladies Library Association, organized in January, 1852, grew out of a reading club started in 1844. It was the first women's club in Michigan and the third in the United States. Mrs. Lucinda H. Stone, who is known as the "Mother of Women's Clubs," helped found this club. The Association has had a continuous existence from its organization.